Tuesday, September 9, 2008

DJ Spooks freelance illustration

Adobe Illustrator

I created this for a lady from Kuwait I met on Flickr. She posted a photo for me to use as reference.

When I first saw the photo, I knew exactly what I wanted to do with the glasses.
I initially traced the head and facial shapes, which looked rather random and helter-skelter when I finished. I then manipulated the shapes --straightening, rounding, simplifying... trying to unify them, creating a flow with the shapes for a more graphic feel.
I used two different halftone screen sizes for the face and the cap. The sharp, detailed, and close-up photo revealed the man's pores, suggesting to me the halftone screen as how to imitate the effect. The cap was knit, and I thought the bigger halftone screen captured the feel of it well. :)

2 comments:

Digital Scott's Illustrationblog said...

I've come back and enjoyed much more of your terrific work! You've got talent coming out your ears! And yes the text was from Proverbs.

Andrew W. Moir said...

You're a regular on IF, so I frequently see your work. Your nice comments mean a lot and inspire me to do more. :)

I know I could spend a lot more time in Proverbs and Psalms. It's not always discerning the big theological issues that help, but sometimes the simple, thought-provoking statements. :)