Saturday, August 28, 2021

Commissioned Stylized Caricatures

"The Bad-Joke Guys"

    A friend commissioned me to illustrate his idea of him and his two buddies, all in Christian ministry coming from different walks of life.

    I should have made this a vector illustration in Illustrator instead of a bitmap illustration in Photoshop with a Wacom.  Fixing mistakes or making changes took forever.  I used the Brush tool for most of the project.  I used the default black foreground and white background; I drew with the black, then pressed x to 'erase' with white.
    I used the Pen Tool to create the patches on the vest:
  1. In the Brush Tool options, I set the Brush Master Diameter to two points
  2. I used the Pen Tool to draw a path in the shape of the patch on the vest.
  3. I right-clicked over the path to bring up the Stroke Path option
  4. Clicking the Stroke Path option brings up the Stroke Path / Tool: option dropdown menu
  5. From the dropdown menu, I selected Brush, and a 2 point brush line stroked the path
    I made the chains on the front of the vest in Illustrator with the Art Brush tool.  I imported the chains into Photoshop as Smart Objects, so I could resize them without losing resolution.  I made the background in Illustrator also.

    My friend liked the finished product.  He surprised his buddies with copies for each of them, and they liked it also.

No comments: